U.S. State Dept warns ‘terrorists’ continue plotting Sri Lanka attacks
The U.S. State Department said in a revised travel advisory ‘terrorist groups’ were continuing to plot possible attacks in Sri Lanka
“Terrorists may attack with little or no warning,” it said in the revised warning, which was dated Sunday U.S. time.
Around 290 people were killed and about 500 wounded in blasts in churches and luxury hotels. Seven suicide bombers took part in the attacks of the eight serial blasts that rocked Sri Lanka early on Sunday.
The U.S state department said possible targets included tourist locations, transportation hubs, shopping malls, hotels, places of worship, airports and other public areas.
The attack is the most violent in the country since the end of the country’s civil war in 2009.
Earlier in the day, explosions were reported at the St. Anthony’s Church in Kochchikade, Kotahena, St. Sebastian’s Church in Katuwapitiya in Katana, and the Zion church in Batticaloa to commemorate Easter Sunday. The other three blasts were reported at the Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury five-star hotels in Colombo.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack. Police said 24 people had been arrested, all of whom were Sri Lankan, but they gave no more details.