On Sunday, September 24, 2018, while addressing a news conference at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington Pakistan’s foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that Pakistan will not close the doors for peace talks with India and described India ‘reluctant’ in the process.
As reported by the ‘Dawn’ newspaper, Qureshi said, “India is reluctant, we will not close our doors”. He said, “Hiding away from issues will not make them disappear. It will not improve the situation in Kashmir”.
Minister mentioned that the decision to hold the talks was taken during the visit of US secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Pakistan earlier this month and he will meet Mr. Pompeo on October 2, 2018 again.
Qureshi blamed India for cancelling the talks, that it agreed to hold in September, based on the incident that happened in month of July.
Pak foreign minister says Qureshi says India’s response to peace offer is harsh and non-diplomatichttps://t.co/AmhyJ33Osj
— Zee News (@ZeeNews) September 24, 2018
Foreign Minister Qureshi said that he could not understand India’s refusal to hold peace talks, he said, “Engagement, no-engagement. Coming, not coming. We desired talks as we believe the sensible way is to meet and talk. They agreed, and then disagreed”.
He added, “We did not use a non-diplomatic language in our rejoinder. Our response was matured and measured. They adopted a new approach, and moved back”.
When asked if the tensions between two countries could lead the war, Qureshi said, “Who is talking of war? Not us. We want peace, stability, employment and improving lives. You identify where is the reluctance”.
He further added, “We want peace. It does not mean, we cannot defend ourselves against aggression. We can but we do not have an aggressive mindset”.
India cancelled proposed meeting between the foreign ministers of India and Pakistan, on the sidelines of United Nations General Assembly meet in New York, citing the brutal killing of BSF soldier and Pakistan’s efforts to ‘glorify’ terrorists killed in encounter in Jammu Kashmir.