A US veteran has been taken into custody following an FBI online sting operation, federal prosecutors said on Monday. According to the prosecutors, the arrested plotted to detonate a bomb at a Los Angeles area rally causing mass casualties,
The suspect is a 26-year-old U.S. army veteran who served in Afghanistan, named Mark Domingo. Federal agents arrested him on Friday while he was finalizing plans to plant a bomb at a Nazi rally that had been scheduled Sunday in Long Beach.
Domingo, who had recently converted to Islam, planned to bomb the rally as retribution for the New Zealand mosque attacks, federal prosecutors said.
“This is a case in which law enforcement were able to identify a man consumed with hate and bent on mass murder and stop him before he could carry out his attack. This investigation successfully disrupted a very real threat posed by a trained combat soldier who repeatedly stated he wanted to cause the maximum number of casualties” said U.S. Attorney Nick Hanna at a news conference in California on Monday.
“Nevertheless, the criminal case outlines a chilling terrorism plot that developed over the last two months and targeted innocent Americans that he expected to gather this past weekend,” she added.
Domingo has allegedly said he wanted revenge for the attacks on two mosques in New Zealand that killed 50 people last month.
Domingo was charged in a federal criminal complaint with providing and attempting to provide “material support to terrorists” and was scheduled to make an initial appearance in US District Court in Los Angeles later on Monday.