The Ministry of External Affairs said Monday that India has shared with China “all evidence” of terrorist activities by Jaish-e-Mohammad and its leader Masood Azhar, after Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale met Chinese State Councillor and Foreign minister Wang Yi in Beijing.
“We have shared with China all evidences of terrorist activities of Jaish-e-Mohammad and its leader Masood Azhar. It is now for the 1267 Sanctions Committee and other authorised bodies of the UN to take a decision on the listing of Masood Azhar. India will continue to pursue all available avenues to ensure that terrorist leaders who are involved in heinous attacks on our citizens are brought to justice,” said MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar.
Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale is currently on a two-day visit to Beijing where he met Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and told him that Beijing needed to be “sensitive” to New Delhi’s concerns including listing of Azhar as a global terrorist.
Gokhale, referring to the meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping last year in Wuhan, said: “As you said we will work together with the Chinese side to deepen understanding to strengthen trust to implement the decisions that were taken by leaders and to do it in a manner in which we are sensitive to each other’s concerns.”
“As to the specific issues, I already said that the two sides have far more common interests than conflicts. I hope the two sides will step up coordination and cooperation, and sustain the sound momentum in bilateral relations. China is ready and would like to work together with India to this end,” said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang responding to a question on whether Azhar’s listing or India’s participation in the Belt and Road Forum in Beijing later this week.