On Tuesday, Hezbollah warned Israel against any attempt to attack Lebanon and said that its forces are on a constant state of alert and the resistance movement is strong enough to retaliate against any Israeli aggression.
The remarks from Hezbollah came hours after Israeli military; Lieutenant General Gadi Eizenkot said that the Operation Northern Shield, to destroy the underground tunnels made by Hezbollah, had been launched before the tunnels “became an immediate and direct threat to northern communities and army bases”.
Member of Hezbollah’s political bureau, Hassan Hoballah said, “The days when Israel could simply attack Lebanon are over, even though the initiative to attack is in Israel’s hands”.
— Press TV (@PressTV) December 5, 2018
He said that the forces are “on a constant state of alert and surveillance, and are assessing the situation” and its fighters are capable to block any Israeli aggression.
Early on Tuesday Israeli military announced the operation on twitter. Israeli military spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus said “We see Hezbollah’s activities as a flagrant and blatant violation of Israeli sovereignty… This activity is another example of the negative effects of Iranian entrenchment in the region”.
Conricus accused Hezbollah of developing an offensive plan against Israel that would shift the battleground into Israel. He said, “The surprise component of that plan was supposed to be tunnels that would allow infiltrators into Israel”.
Israel and Hezbollah has fought two wars in 2000 and 2006 and has warned Israel of equal and proportionate response if Israel attacks Lebanon. Hezbollah had declared that now it has precisions missiles that it didn’t have earlier.